Thursday, August 26, 2010

Where for art thou census debate?

Now, I know this is getting to be old news and all the points have been masticated quite thoroughly in the media and blogs but it's still on my mind. To be honest, I wish it was still national news. Unfortunately, the mainstream seems to have thrown in the towel in the face of the Conservative bulwark on the census.

I came across this and thought it was worth sharing. Paul Wells in Macleans makes a point about the Tories scrapping the mandatory long form census that I hadn't considered, one based in government accountability:

"Unmooring the census from its basis in statistical reliability is a wicked thing to do because it takes away one of the few tools we have for measuring the effectiveness of the things governments do...If you want the evaluation of government action to be a public good, available to us all, you need publicly available data of a high order, so that anyone with a decent grasp of statistics can measure results against goals...citizens will have fewer independent benchmarks against which to judge any of this."

I won't make any comments on it, as I am in no way an expert on the subject or even consider myself informed on it, and really, the quotation speaks for itself.

enjoy,

random uni student

PS. So, I posted this and then immediately saw this...I guess it's not quite as dead as I thought it was....may bad! And then I found this, also from Macleans - a list of for and against the scrapping of the long form census.

No comments:

Post a Comment